Resident Assistantship Program
LGW Glass Resident Assistantship Program
Accepting Application on Rolling Basis
LGW Resident Assistantship
The Resident Assistantship is a professional development opportunity for emerging artists who have recent work experience in a glass blowing studio. Our program will help to further prepare you as a future creative entrepreneur and glass artist. The assistantship trains individuals in the day-to-day studio operations, care for equipment, tools, cold working process, production glass blowing, retail sales, and customer relations. Two applicants will be awarded positions per 3 - 6 month cohort.
Hours: Up to 40hrs a week
- Daily Studio Setup to include maintaining a clean work area, setting up the shop for production, and cleaning the shop area at the beginning and end of each day
- Maintaining the shop area, cold shop, pipes, tools, moulds, etc.
- Learning to charge the furnace and providing basic equipment care
- Process and cold work products and one-of-a-kind pieces
- Maintain a safe work environment following all protocol and safety standards
- Learn from and ask for constructive feedback from more experienced co-workers
- Meet and maintain a high level of respect for customers and co-workers while representing the company during the working day
- Narrate on the glass process to the public
- All other assigned duties
Assistants work up to 40 hours/week as hot shop assistants and have 4 hours/week to focus on making their own work after hours. LGW also provides an hourly wage and free offsite housing.
Studio Time/ Materials
Lexington Glassworks Resident Assistants will receive 4 hr/week of studio time. Basic tools and clear glass are provided.
Compensation: $10 -15/hr (up to 40hr/ week)
Housing: Free, includes utilities, wifi, and furnishings
Studio Time: 4/hr per week
Health Insurance: Available
Contribution of Work
After completing training the Assistant is given the opportunity to show/sell their work in the gallery, they will receive a commission on work sold. With approval.
With the help of a professional mentor, we ask each Assistant to create one product line to sell in the gallery and online. The product will be named for the artist, and they will also receive a commission on this product.
Lexington Glassworks provides a one-bedroom/one-bath single-occupant apartment to Resident Assistants located just over a 1 mile from Lexington Glassworks. The apartment is located within comfortable walking or biking distance to restaurants, grocery stores, coffee shops, and downtown Asheville. The apartment is furnished with basic amenities including a queen bed, couch, television, desk, chair, basic kitchen utensils, and linens (available upon request). The apartment is pet-free and smoke-free. Wi-fi is included.
- Rolling, open until position is filled.
- Start Date: ASAP
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to regularly lift up to 50 lbs. and in good physical shape
- Minimum of 1-year experience working in a glassblowing studio
- Strong work ethic
Resume or equivalent
Submit Images - 5-10 pieces
Statement of Intent - Explain how this Assistantship would be a benefit to both your artistic and career goals.
Completed Applications can be submitted to email@example.com
Program Dates: March 2023
*Two applicants will be chosen for each 3 - 6 month cohort
Equal Opportunity Employer
Lexington Glassworks provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Lexington Glassworks complies with all federal, state, and local laws pertaining to the COVID-19 pandemic. Employees must abide by the Company's COVID-19 protocols at all times, if applicable. Employees who are not vaccinated are subject to testing at their own expense.